Cycling in, around and through Ayrshire
Whether you’re a specialist cyclist doing one of the big cycle routes around Scotland, or a couple who have driven up/down with their bikes strapped to the car roof wanting to do a variety of daily cycle rides, Doonbank is well positioned to act as a base for you, or as a stop over as part of your cycling holiday.
We have also been awarded a Visit Scotland ‘Cyclists Welcome’ award. In fact our 4.5 acre woodland garden borders the old railway track which forms part of the National Cycle Network Route 7.
For cyclists staying at Doonbank we pride ourselves in being cycle friendly. This includes:
- A free secure bike area to park / chain your bike. Or, if required, your bike can be locked in our secure shed.
- Facilities to wash down your bike after a days cycling.
- Flexible check in and check out times. So if you want to check in at 9.30pm, that’s fine with us, just let us know. Checking out is as simple as leaving, so if you want to head off at 5am – that’s fine too!
- A clothes washing, drying and ironing service where we will wash, dry and iron (as appropriate) your clothing so that it’s ready for 8am the following day. This is charged at £10 per bag (bags are available on request).
- Free water bottle refills.
- Information about local shops, supermarkets and eateries (eat in and takeaway) where you can purchase hot food or packed lunch material.
- If you are knackered after a day’s ride, we can give you a free lift and return to a local supermarket or eatery! (within reason!)
- Information about local weather forecasts; ferry times over to Arran etc;
- Information about local cycle specialist shops and directions as appropriate.
- Carrick Cycles. 87 Main St, Ayr KA8 8BU. 12 mins drive, or 25 mins cycle from Doonbank. Carrick Cycles Facebook page.
- Halfords Ayr. Heathfield Retail Park, 6, Heathfield Rd, Ayr KA8 9BF. 17 mins drive or 25 mins cycle from Doonbank.
- ACS Prestwick Ltd. 5 The Cross, Prestwick KA9 1AJ. 23 mins drive or 33 minutes cycle from Doonbank.
- Information on local public transport (busses; ferries and trains).
- Basic bike repair toolkit.
- We also have a comfortable separate sofa bed downstairs.
Just let us know when you book that you are a cyclist – and if there is anything else we can help with – just ask!
You can find out more through the following links:
- 9 cycle routes across Ayrshire and Arran. Opportunities to explore and experience Ayrshire’s great outdoors are vast and varied and what better way to do it than on 2 wheels!
- The Ayrshire Paths Initiative – provides sensitively managed, well sign-posted routes for all; capabilities of walker and cyclists.
- Sustrans Ayrshire path routes – you can also search the National Cycle Network;
- Map my ride – provides routes put together by keen cyclists;
- Isle of Arran Cycle club (with routes);
- Isle of Bute (with routes).