Your dog is a key member of your family and is also on holiday! We also get loads of pleasure from meeting the dogs that come to stay 🙂 and like you, believe that they too should be having a great holiday, or break away.
We do request that dogs should not be left on their own in the Bothy whilst you are out and about, as some dogs can become quite distressed if they are left alone in an unfamiliar environment and this can manifest itself in different ways.
We have had occasions in the past where this has resulted in damage to the property.
If you have a suitably sized dog crate, then you can leave your pet as long as it has access to water but not for periods of more than 3-4 hours.
If you do not have a crate, but want to go out for the morning, afternoon or evening without your dog, we can offer the following dog services:
- For crated dogs to give them a stretch, we can provide a one hour dog walk for £15. You will need to supply dog leads etc.
- For dogs without crates, we can provide a 6 hour doggy sit session for £25. This will include:
- At least two walks (on lead – extendable lead preferred), one of which will be of at least an hour and include riverside; woodland and pavement for variety.
- We will sit with your dog to keep it company.
- Feed your dog (you provide food).
- Enable your dog to access the Bothy back garden.
- Any other special requests within reason!
If you wish to take advantage of either of the above; please let us know when you book or on your arrival.
We are of course happy to work around your requirements.
What to bring with you
Your dog is on holiday too, so it’s really important that you consider their needs etc. If you are bringing your dog with you, please bring your own:
- Dog bed. Your dog likes to chill out as well, and their own dog bed provides comfort and familiarity. They may also have their own special blanket[s]
- Dog toys. If you dog has a chewy toy or ball that it loves – bring it along to reinforce familiarity.
- Dog towels. When your dog comes back after walks they will need washing down. Bringing your own towels means that you can dry them off without using our Egyptian cotton guest towels!
- Poop scoop bags – preferably environmentally friendly / biodegradable ones to clear up after your dog.
- Dog lead and/or extendable dog lead.
- Initial supply of food.
- Dog identification tag.
- Any medication your dog may be on or need.
As part of our commitment to best practice, we provide a doggy emergency box which comprises:
|Bucket and sponge to wash your dog
Holiday dog tags
Pet food fork
Emergency towel to wipe down dog
Torch for dog walking
Water bowl bowl and mat
Emergency dog food.
|We also provide:
Dog walk information included in ‘what to’ do leaflet.
Information on all year dog friendly beaches nearby.
Information on local dog grooming service.
On site and nearby off lead walks.
A dog sitting and feeding service in case you want to be out and about without your wee friend.
Information about vets provided within welcome pack.
Dog walks available from the door [no need to drive].
Dog friendly outdoor seating areas.
Access to water
Dog Friendly Pubs and Restaurants
- The Failford Inn [Failford, near Mauchline, postcode KA5 5TF. Tel: 01292 540 117]. 22 mins drive from Doonbank. A dog friendly pub and resturant on the banks of the River Ayr, which can be walked from its source to the sea, via the River Ayr way. The Failford also brews its own beer on-site in its Windie Goat Brewery!
- The Balgarth Pines [8 Dunure Road, Ayr, KA7 4HR. Tel: 01292 442441. 3 minutes drive from Doonbank Cottaqe.
- Sorn Inn (35 Main Street Sorn, East Ayrshire, KA5 6HU). 35 minutes drive from Doonbank.
- Anchorage Dunure. 9-17 Harbour View, Dunure, Dunure, United Kingdom. Tel: 01292 502826. 15 minute drive from Doonbank in lovely harbour overlooking Isle of Arran.
If you are a local restarurant or pub that welcomes pets,please let us know and we will add you to this list. We would also welcome up-to-date-menus and prices. You can email them to : [email protected]. We carry more up-to-date information in our Bothy folder for guests. We strongly recommend that you ring in advance to check opening times and availability.
Hollow Park Vets [8-10 minute drive from Doonbank Cottage]. Maybole Road, Alloway. Tel: 01292 445 678
Dalblair Veterinary Surgery 52/54 Dalblair Road, Ayr, KA7 1UQ. Tel: 01292 263744 or 264778
Collier and Brock Vets 153, Whitletts Road, Ayr, KA8 0JG. Telephone: 01292 611838
Dog Friendly Beaches
Doonbank is within easy reach of numerous dog friendly beaches, making up 60 miles of South Ayrshire coastline. Beaches include (but obviously we are on the coastline). We have dog walks available via our doggy folder in the Bothy.
- Doonfoot / Ayr beach, which also has a family nature trail between Doonfoot and Seafield.
- Dunure Shore
- Maidens (Set Sat Nav to: KA26 9NR)
- Croy Shore – (Set Sat Nav to KA19 8JS)
Bonny Bank Cottage, Little Mill by Ayr. Tel: 01292 590 250. 35 minutes drive from Doonbank Cottage.