Come and explore the wonderful world of honey bees and bee keeping. During this three hour experience you will learn all about honey bees – interesting facts; who lives in the hive; the lifecycle of the honey bee and how they make honey and beeswax.
It could also make a great birthday or Christmas present – why not Buy a gift voucher as a present.
We will also take a good look at the equipment that you need and the bee keeping year. We’ll look in detail at the various bits that make up a beehive and you’ll also make up some hive frames and also make your own simple beeswax candle to take home.
After dressing up in ‘the beekeeping gear’ (provided), we will make our way down to the Apiary where we will get in close and personal with the bees on a live hive inspection.
You can also follow our bee exploits via our Doonbank Cottage Facebook Page.
We have been asked to publish 2022 dates as some folk are looking to buy vouchers as Christmas presents:
- Dates for 2022 public experiences – 12.30pm – 3.30pm:
- Sat 14th May 2022
- Sat 28th May 2022 (nearly booked out! Only one place left on this date)
- Sat 11th June 2022 (nearly booked out! Only one place left on this date)
- Sat 25th June 2022
- Sat 9th July 2022
- Sat 23rd July 2022
- Sat 6th August 2022
- Sat 20th August 2022
- Sat 3rd August 2022
|If you are are not staying in our Bothy, and outside the dates listed above, we are happy to run private sessions just for your group, as long as there are between 3 and 6 people and that any children are over the age of 8.|
Give Chris a shout via email: (email@example.com), or phone: 01292 441 825 to arrange a convenient date. You can then buy the appropriate number of vouchers.
We are happy to run both weekday and weekend sessions.
If you ARE staying in the Bothy and would like to add an experience to your stay, simply purchase the required number of vouchers and let us know
What you need to know:
- We can only go into the hive if it’s not raining and/or the temperature is above 14 degrees.
- Venue: Doonbank Cottage, 89a Glenalla Crescent, Ayr, KA7 4DZ (Classroom and Apiary)
- Timings: 12.30pm – 3.30pm (please arrive at 12.15pm)
- Free off road parking.
- Bee keeping suit and gloves provided.
- Candle making materials provided.
- Tea/coffee/juice and nibbles provided.
- Maximum 6 places.
- Minimum age 8. All children under the age of 16 must be accompanied by an adult.
What you need to bring:
- Wellington boots
- Wear trousers and long sleeved shirt / sweatshirt / jumper (hoodies are not so good as difficult to get into bee suit!)